Last year I found out about Conway sponsoring their first half marathon and I was all about it until I ran my marathon and learned that I hated to run, haha, I really don't hate to run, the marathon training was just too much for me. Well my dad and I agreed that we were going to do it together like we did the marathon. Months went by and October was getting closer and I still had not even attempted to start training. So one sunday afternoon sometime in September and nicely asked my dad if he had signed up for the race yet (hoping he hadn't) and the ever so wonderful words came out of his mouth "I decided not to run it". I felt like the biggest weight was lifted off my shoulders. 1. because I no longer felt guilty for not trainging and 2. I know longer felt guilty for letting my dad down. I then went on through the rest of September and most of October. The week of the race was approaching and I knew that in 2 days the race was going on and I had a little bit of guilt but not as much because I knew that my dad wasn't doing it either until I recieved "the phone call". I had been out shopping all day having the time of my life and noticed that my dad had called and left a message but I figured that I would check it later. Well later came after my wonderful day of shopping.......I held down one to listen to my message thinking "oh my dad called to say hi" but instead I got "Celeste, I went into to work early today and well.....I decided to run the race on Saturday and I signed up today" WHAT? 2 DAYS BEFORE THE RACE? (that was my reaction when I heard the message) Can I just tell you what words really wanted to come out of my mouth? No I can't tell you because people do read this. I was more then beside myself. So what else was I to do but call my dad?
Ring....Ring....Hello?
ME-DOUGLAS L. MARTINDALE!!!!!!!!!
DAD-HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE(if can only imagine my dad giggling like a litte girl because he knows that I am NOT HAPPY with him)
ME-What do you think your doing?
DAD-Well? (aubrey and mom you know EXACTLY how he said that too)
I could go on but I won't. I'll just make it short and sweet, I was not nice but I came to terms that my dad was in better shape then me and I was just jealous! Oh well, I was/am proud of him and I was able to go (2 days later) and cheer him on. I even got to run the last stretch with him , which was funny because some girl actually thought I had ran the whole race in jeans, a sweatshirt, and converse, now that would take a REAL runner hahaha. I was glad I was able to attend because I know he would have never missed one of my races. I could always count on him to be on the side lines cheering me on when I was really wanting to die! Thanks dad and Congrats!
All I have to say is not many people can say they were able to cheer on their 56 or 57 (I can't remember) on crossing the finish line after running 13.1 miles? Actually not too many people can say they were able to run a full marathon with their 55 or 56 (at the time) year old dad and cross the finish line together and finish at the exact time.


5 comments:
I love the whole phone conversation and hearing you express dad's "Well..." Dad has guts...I would never do it. Not only cause running is not fun but also because I would end up breaking/spraining one of my ankles or even break my teeth yet again. And that's why I stay away from physical activity.
You forgot to mention you got to hang out and watch the race with your awesome fat pregnant friend who should've been running it too b/c then I could've worn a "baby on board" shirt. We totally should've signed up that morning!
Oh yeah! Don't worry I didn't forget about you. And your not fat, if anyone is fat it's me and it's because I quit running. Oh well I have a good reason for me not running anymore.
Don't worry...I don't think 130 is fat anymore:). And I was going to update my blog today, but the pictures weren't on my computer yet and I'm lazy.
You forgot to mention you watched with your fat mom too. I can cheer on real well but no marathons, or half marathons for me. I don't get the excitement over it all. 130 lbs, really is that fat, oh wow I AM in trouble. Don't worry dad is counting on you running it with him next year unless... you will be with child or some excuse like that.
Post a Comment