Saturday, January 17, 2009

sad but true

On Tuesday on my flight home I had to fly from Vegas to Atlanta, yes I am aware how long of a flight it was, to be exact it was a 4 hour flight. I was dreading it but I knew I had a good book, sudoku, and much needed sleep that would occupy my time. When I got on the plane I was glad to see that it was leather instead of the nasty disgusting clothe seats that I had on my way out and then I was happy that I had a window seat. I sat down all situated and comfortable and waited to see if I was going to be crammed in my seat with someone next to me. Lucky only one person sat down and he was on the isle so there was a seat in between.

Now here's the sad part, the guy sitting next to me was middle eastern. I know I shouldn't judge and I know it's bad to judge but that day I was judging. So we got in the air, I got my book out and was reading. All the while I was watching this man next to me in the corner of my eye. He seemed nervous about something and I think that's why I was freaking myself out. I really thought I was going to die that day. He kept shaking his legs really fast and kept leaning foward and then back and then forward and then back, then he kept grabbing for things in the seat infront of him. Mind you, this was a 4 hour flight so he was probably just bored, but I thought otherwise. I was really trying not to pay much attention to him but I couldn't help but notice him.

At one point he reached down into his backpack, which I was watching very intently, and he pulled out a little notebook and started writing in it. At this point I really thought it was over for me. I thought he was writing his last goodbyes and then we were all in for it. After he got done writing he got up and started walking to the front. You guys this is how retarded I am, I actually sat up in my seat and leaned over to watch him and see if he was "actually" going to the bathroom or if he was going to the cockpit to take over. Not only were my hands sweating from reading my intense book but they were sweating even more watching this man and thinking I was going to die.

Luckly he just went to the bathroom and came back and sat down and then started shaking his leg again and then writing in his book. I was relieved that nothing happened when he sat down but then I started thinking that maybe he put a bomb in the bathroom and it was only a matter of minutes before the plane blew up. So here I am thinking of all these scenarios when all the while this guy was probably just bored from being on the flight and nervous to see who was meeting him at the airport. He finally fell asleep and I finally told myself that I was being rude for judging him and proceeded with my book.

As you can see we safely landed with no highjacking or bombing and I lived through my 4 hour flight. I'll be more careful and maybe more discreet next time I'm on the plane with someone suspicious.

8 comments:

Our Happy Family said...

LOL, I hate flying so this post cracked me up.

Martindale News said...

So funny. I guess I would be freaked out if the person next to me acted nervous like that too. It doesn't help that you were reading a book about earthquakes! LOL

Aubrey said...

Racist face. I loved the whole sweaty hands comment. I was thinking about wanting to give you lotion to help. :) When will i see you next?

lindsee said...

That is terrible!!! but I think we all do double takes and wonder things no matter who we are. Besides that I hate to fly so I would probably be the one looking strange.

Anonymous said...

I laugh, only because it wasn't me freaking out. I bet you lost a couple of pounds just from nervous energy! Glad you're safe and not a smoking pile of debris. :)

brianna said...

OK Celeste, I fly out to Washington on Thursday and am freaked out to all heck and now you just reminded me again why I am overly afraid!! P.S. This is Janae' Not Brianna, I can't figure out how to get it back to me.. sorry

Britney said...

hahaha! poor guy! he was probably freaked out because he saw you watching him the whole time.

Amy said...

So I guess security missed the bomb he had in his backpack right?